Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Caper + Dill Dressing | GRF, VV
We can all agree that crispy smashed potatoes are incredible. But the real star of show here is the caper, dill, olive flavour bomb of a topping. It is super briny, acidic and herby. And like most things I make, this dressing is very multipurpose. It would be great on grilled chicken or steak, tossed with grains or roasted vegetables, garnished on hummus or labneh for a v easy dip upgrade. Go wild!
What I use (serves 2-4):
- 2 lbs baby new potatoes (I like the really small baby ones because smaller pieces = more edges = more crispiness. It’s science.)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (for roasting potatoes)
- 1 tsp salt (+more for boiling potatoes)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and minced
- 1 tbsp kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 tbsp finely minced shallot (about 1 shallot)
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil (for dressing)
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped (or green onion, parsley, tarragon)
What I do:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add potatoes to a large pot and cover with water. Season the water with a big handful of salt and bring to a simmer. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Drain potatoes and let them dry for a few minutes in colander.
- Meanwhile, make dressing by combining capers, olives, shallot, vinegar, oil, sugar, lemon zest, dill and chives in small bowl. Let the mixture hang out for a bit at room temperature to let all the flavours come together.
- Toss the potatoes in vegetable oil, 1 tsp salt and garlic powder. Transfer to parchment lined sheet tray. Using the palm of your hand smash down the potatoes so they burst open and pancake out. Make sure the potatoes aren’t touching each other so they have room to breath and don’t just steam. Bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until super crispy and golden brown. Don’t be afraid to crank up your oven of you don’t think they are getting crispy enough because crispy is key. Depending on your oven, you may be better off closer to 500 degrees – just keep an eye on them. Check on them half way through to rotate and flip.
- Transfer crispy taters to serving platter and top with the caper and dill dressing. Bam! Best potatoes of life.
- TIP! The whipped feta from this recipe goes amazing with these potatoes as well. I like to smear the whipped feta on a platter before topping with potatoes and dressing.