Parsnip Greek Fries w/ Tahini Dressing | GRF, V
This was a quarentine invention born out of buying too many root vegetables. But this has definitely become a favourite at our house. It’s super flexible in that you can use whatever root vegetable you have on hand. Potatoes, sweet potatoes – even carrots would be good! There are sort of 3 main components to this dish: the parsnip fries, the greek salad and the tahini dressing. So, I will break it down as such to hopefully make it nice and simple.
what I use (serves 4):
- 6 medium parsnips, washed, trimmed and cut into thin, fry-like sticks (I don’t bother peeling them, but you do you)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced super small
- 1 cup diced cucumber, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup diced tomato, seeds removed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup shredded romain or iceberg lettuce (optional)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta (optional)
- Parsley to garnish (optional – green onion or cilantro would work too!)
- 1/3 cup dressing – see my separate blog post here!
What I do:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss parsnip sticks with oil, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Transfer to parchment lined sheet tray and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden, crispy and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine the red onion, cucumber, tomato and olives in a small bowl. Using a separate bowl or mason jar, whisk or shake the vinegar, oregano, sugar, salt and oil until combined. Toss salad with dressing and let marinate while the parsnips are baking.
- Transfer hot, crispy parsnips to serving platter. Drain greek salad in colander to remove excess marinade and liquid. The cucumber and tomatoes release a lot of juices when salted and all that extra liquid will just cause soggy parsnip fries – so draining the excess liquid/dressing is important. The vegetables still retain a ton of flavour from marinating.
- Top fries with greek salad mixture and shredded lettuce. Drizzle with tahini dressing and garnish with feta cheese and parsley or whatever other garnishes you can find in the fridge.