Shredded Brussels Sprout Slaw
what I use (serves 4 as a side):
- 4 cups brussels sprouts, shredded (I cut them in half lengthwise and then thinly slice, discarding the root end)
- 1/4 cup roasted sliced almonds (any nut or seed is good here – pine nuts, pecans, pepitas, sunflower seeds, etc.)
- 1/4 cup dried currants (again, any dried fruit is good here – golden raisins are really yum!)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (i like to use a microplane for this) + plus more for garnishing
- 1/4 cup garlic dijon vinaigrette (or a little less/more, depending on how dressed you like your salad) *Click here for recipe*
what I do:
- You can just toss this all together and it will be great! But if you have time, a nice lil massage on the brussels beforehand will make this just that much better. Using your hands, massage the shredded Brussels with a squeeze of lemon juice, pinch of salt, and a drizzle of olive oil just to help break it down and tenderize it (since we aren’t cooking it).
- This salad also keeps pretty well in the fridge for leftovers. If you are bringing this somewhere (maybe a party?!), I would massage the Brussels before hand and then toss with all the ingredients and dressing right before serving.