Spring Quinoa Salad w/ Mint + Pistachio
Ok it is time to start acting like spring is here and the first step is eating spring time-y foods! This salad is pretty hearty so it can be eaten as a main dish or as a side to chicken or shrimp or sausage or steak or salmon or anything lol. It also holds up well overnight so it is perfect for day 2 lunch. ok enough chatting lets make some food!!!
What I use (serves 2-4):
- 1 cup quinoa (any variety!)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (for sautéing veg)
- 1 zucchini, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into bit sized peices
- 1/2 cup peas, thawed or fresh
- 2 cups baby arugula (or just a couple handfuls, whatever feels right)
- 2 tbsp green onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1/3 cup salted roasted pistachios, chopped
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled (or feta or parm or sans cheese)
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 2 to 3 tbsp)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
What I do:
- Cook 1 cup quinoa as per package directions. Fluff and let cool in the fridge.
- Saute zucchini in hot cast iron skillet with a couple tbsp oil until nicely roasted with some good golden color going on. Season with salt and set aside. Using the same pan repeat process with chopped asparagus. Let your veggies cool to room temperature.
- In a big bowl, toss the quinoa, roasted veg, peas, arugula and herbs until all combined. Add a couple squeezes of lemon juice and a good glug of olive oil. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add the chopped pistachios and crumbled goat cheese (or whatever cheese you’re using) toss and voila! Spring in a bowl!