The Best Chopped Salad | GRF, V
Ah the good old Chopped Salad. A classic. A beloved favourite. Why? Because it can include whatever you want. Typically just a mixture of chopped vegetables (often a bean gets pulled into the mix) and a vinaigrette. They are simple and easy to whip together and typically last in the fridge for a few days which is ideal for us busy folk. I whipped up this version one day just using what I had in the fridge and it has become a weekly staple. Fresh, bright, healthy and filling. What more can you ask for from a little old salad? And I won’t give away too much, but it has pomegranates and mint in it which is pretty much my favorite duo ever.
What I use
- 1 large English cucumber
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 small shallot, small dice
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped fine
- 2 tsp fresh basil, chopped fine
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil (I prefer neutral oils in my dressings, but use whatever you prefer)
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
What I do
- Dice the cucumber into equal parts. I like to remove some of the seeds it before dicing it. This can simply be done by slicing the cucumber in half lengthwise and use a spoon to just scrape out some of the center. This will increase the life of the salad – cucumbers release a lot of water and can make the salad too “wet” and dilute the flavor of the vinaigrette.
- Drain the chickpeas and give them a good rinse in cold water to get remove any access “can juice” (aka aquafaba, which you can actually keep and do cool stuff with but that’s for another day). Mix with the diced cucumber
- Add you pomegranate seeds, feta, and shallots
- For the dressing: put vinegar in large bowl, slowly whisk in the oil till it is emulsified. Add the chopped herbs and a fat pinch of salt, whisk till herbs are incorporated.
- Toss toss toss – voila! You probably won’t need ALL this dressing, so just add enough to coat the salad well. Check seasoning, add salt to taste. This salad will last in the fridge for a few days. The dressing will also keep in the fridge for a couple weeks 🙂
Enjoy and happy eating! xoxoxo dee